Spring 2017 Pages 16-19

The name Gino D’Andrade is forever linked with “Security” on the campus of Oakwood University, as he served as Chief of Security from 1971 until 2005. The plaque unveiled in the Public Safety Headquarters Building that bears his name proclaims that “he served with professionalism, excellence and distinction, and will remain a part of the Oakwood College legacy.”
Dr. Ruth Faye Davis was a stellar individual, who always stood for what was right no matter what. She loved her students, and taught and trained them to live according to God’s will. She never bent on what she felt God wanted for her and all those who were under her tutelage. She loved deeply and gave generously to many in need. She was a force to reckon with, but whatever she did, she did in love and service to God.
Omerror Dawson well may be the trailblazing pioneer responsible for combining the contemporary sounds of the 1970s to the High-Church precision of traditional black Adventism. Ms. Dawson was an influential pianist, organist and arranger who has been praised by Mervyn E. Warren and other Oakwood music legends such as gospel vocalist Shelia McNeil. In fact, without her contributions, Oakwood’s musical legacy and “the Oakwood sound,” a sophisticated fusion of traditional sacred music, gospel and jazz, wouldn’t be what it is.
Minneola Dixon served in several capacities during the 38.42 years she was employed at Oakwood. Under her leadership, the archives grew from one small room to an eight-room resource center. She interviewed pioneers; catalogued periodicals, books and pictures; reorganized the museum; conducted tours; and brought nationwide attention to the campus. Dixon also helped research the history of Dred Scott’s relationship to the campus, and coordinated the efforts to identify and mark the Historic Slave Cemetery. Many will remember her five-minute radio program, “Oakwood Heritage Moments.”
Jackson Doggette, Sr. enrolled at Oakwood after his church congregation had taken up an offering to help pay for his collegiate expenses to become a preacher. He played a major part in the Civil Rights Movement in Memphis, Tennessee, and has served as president of the Southeastern Conference of Seventh-day Adventists. In 1954, Pastor Doggette wed the love of his life, Edythe M. Young. This union blessed him with five children, 18 grandchildren and five great grandchildren. Doggette is also known for having two sons and one grandson in pastoral ministry.
Dr. Ty-Ron M. O. Douglas is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis at the University of Missouri. Douglas has captivated audiences with a unique combination of depth, wit, and practicality. His latest book, Border Crossing Brothas: Black Males Navigating Race, Place and Complex Space, investigates the diverse identity-forming experiences of Black males in educative and athletic spaces, like sports clubs and neighborhoods. Douglas has also initiated and co-developed the BRIDGE to MizzouEd program in partnership with Oakwood University to provide juniors and seniors with exposure to graduate school.
After graduating from Oakwood, Charles E. Dudley, Sr., served in Seventh-day Adventist pastoral ministry for 15 years in the South Central and Southwest Region Conferences. In 1962 he was elected president of the South Central Conference of Seventh-day Adventists. His serving for 31.5 years in the same position earned the distinction of having the longest tenure of anyone in administration in the history of the World Church. Included in the list of awards he received over the course of his ministry is an honorary Doctor of Divinity degree from Andrews University in 1992.
Eva B. Dykes received her B.A. degree from Howard University; and M.A. and Ph.D. from Radcliffe University. Prior to her joining the faculty of Oakwood College, she served as a member of the faculty at Howard University. She holds the distinction of being one of the first five Negro women in the United States to have received a doctor of philosophy degree. In 1946, she organized the Aeolians. The Eva B. Dykes Library is named in her honor.
George R. Earle’s love of God, honor and integrity began when he was a young boy. While a freshman at Oakwood, he was drafted into the military during World War II, but returned and graduated in 1948. That same year he joined the ministerial team in the Northeastern Conference, pastoring several churches until he was elected president of the conference in 1967. For almost 18 years, he led the largest and most influential conference in the North American Division.
We have Otis B. Edwards, who served as dean of the College from 1946 to 1958, to thank for the words to the school song, “Our Dear Oakwood.” He was described as noble in spirit, broad in mind, sympathetic in understanding, diligent in business – the chief coordinator of student body and faculty [who carried out] the intricate task of directing the educational program of the institution. Edwards Hall is named in his honor.
The influence of James L. English is best depicted by his willingness to contribute to the success of others while sharing his leadership skills, Christian values and natural empathy. He invests resources in the development of Oakwood business and nursing students and alumni, facilitating professional and personal development opportunities for them. He is a servant leader, challenging, inspiring, and sharing with those around him. He has vision, adapts yet remains consistent, and is an engaging communicator. James is passionate in the pursuit of a greater future, not just for himself – but for all.
James E. Dykes started in communication as the editor-in-chief of Oakwood’s first hardcover yearbook, the 1946 Acorn. Thirteen years later, he became editor of Message Magazine, the black-oriented magazine published by the SDA church. After serving as Dean of Boys and Head of the English Department at Pine Forge Academy, Elder Dykes returned to Oakwood in 1971 as Assistant Professor of English and Director of Mass Communication. He helped establish WOCG-FM (now WJOU-FM) and the curriculum for what is now the Department of Communication. The Dykes-Rivers Lectureship Series is named in his honor.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *